Backround

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Things have been busy around here, but not especially exciting. Yesterday was supposed to be my last day on mother-baby, but due to the snow, the road was closed.


So I guess I'll give a little overview of 3rd semester so far (mostly for myself to look back and read, so if you wish to read, procede). This semester has been crazy, but I have loved it SO much more than 2nd semester. I was really nervous at the beginning of the semester, not sure if I was good enough to do this, but I'm feeling much better. I had ortho-neuro (basically joint surgeries, strokes, and that type of thing). I was afriad I really wasn't going to like it, but it wasn't too bad. I could work there for a little while if I needed to. I started my first IV there and was successful. I also tried to start a second, and blew it- literally, the vein blew.
The second rotation which ended yesterday was Mother-baby/Peds. I have looooved this rotation. I finally got to see a birth on Monday. It was very exciting, and I can definitely see my self working here. It was very scary at first because this floor is almost completely different from the med-surg floors. We basically just followed the nurses and got to do a few things, but I really enjoyed it. I had one day on Peds, but it was boring after my patient left. It was kind of frustrating because of the situation and the.. well.. parent. I'm not a parent and obviously I really don't know what its like, but this was just frustrating to watch.
Next I have telemetry. I'm not really excited, but I am kind of excited because we spend a day in the ICU. My first experience in the ICU made me a little nervous, but I would like to spend more time there to feel more comfortable in that type of setting.
Which brings me to the next point... we were given the papers to sign up for our preceptorship.. I really am not sure what I should do! I have decided that I'll probably work on a med-surg floor for a while- at least 6 months to a year.
So, if you're reading, and have graduated nursing school, or just have any sort of thoughts or advice, please let me know what you think!

Option 1: Precept on the medical floor (at IMH in Laramie, to help out with a future job hopefully), get to know the nurses, floor, and how things are there.
Option 2: Do Labor and Delivery or Newborn Nursery- since I think I may someday do that.. so I have an idea what I'm doing when I get there
Option 3: Do something like ER, or ICU- places that are very scary to me right now, to see what its like and get more comfortable(hopefully) with more critical situations.

I can see the advantages with all of these, but I don't know what is best! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Tonight we had Mark and Brandy over for dinner and we carved pumpkins. I tried to do a spider and ended up breaking it. Chris did a funny face. Ashley and Rodney did faces too. Brandy did minions from Despicable me. It was so cute! I should've taken pictures, but didn't get it done.. It was nice visitng with them. We also had the Halloween phantom or something like that drop some treats by. It was a nice surprise! We will have to pass the Halloween phantom on.

I can't even remember the real reason I thought to write a post, so I guess I'll end for now. Please leave comments if you have any advice about my preceptorship! (So silly, but I'm desperate here!)

1 comment: